Carpenters make up the single largest group of skilled workers in the county. Everything around you has been constructed by a skilled Carpenter; from your home, to your schools, to the fast food restaurant down the street. Their skill and talent levels as a craftsman are as varied as the conditions in which they work.
Carpenters use a variety of hand and power tools, such as hammers, levels, drills, wrenches, digital equipment, lasers and saws. If you have an interest in building residential, commercial and public structures “Frame your Future” as a carpenter.
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Possess a high school diploma or GED Certificate
- Be physically able to handle the demands of the trade
How do I prepare for the trade? The following will be helpful:
- Acquiring related work experience
- General math courses
- Problem solving skills
- Develop good personal work ethics
- Develop communication skills
What are the program specifics?
- Length of program is 4 years
- Four weeks of related classroom instruction each year (160 hours)
- Starting pay under general contract is 60% of scale
- Annual “OJT” requirement is 1300 hours
- Applications are taken online at ohcap.org under Admissions
- Healthcare begins after 90 days